Assistant Director, Young Alumni Programs and Annual Fund
The engagement of young alumni is critical to Reed’s long-term growth, as the early activation of recent graduates often leads to a lifetime of engagement. The Assistant Director, Young Alumni Programs and Annual Fund is a front line alumni volunteer manager and fundraiser focusing on young alumni engagement. The Assistant Director will support the goal of increased alumni engagement by motivating and facilitating volunteer involvement in meaningful work of strategic interest to the college, other alumni and current Reed students. This position also manages the student philanthropy group on campus, Reedies for Reedies. This position reports to the Director of Alumni Programs within the Alumni Programs and Annual Fund office.
This is a full-time, exempt position working 37.5 hours/week. The annual salary is $48,227. The ideal workweek is Monday through Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm with occasional evening and weekend hours. Reed College offers an excellent benefits package including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution, retiree medical plan, college tuition assistance for employees’ children, paid holidays, paid vacation and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse and access to onsite daycare provided by Growing Seeds.
- Manage overall young alumni engagement for the college including a first year graduate engagement plan, the Reed Alumni Connect initiative and volunteers, social media strategies, in-person volunteer recruitment, and maintenance of a young alumni prospect pool.
- Provide volunteer management and administrative support for Alumni Fundraising for Reed’s Young Alumni Initiative including, but not limited to, volunteer recruitment, volunteer stewardship, training calls, mass communications, event support, requests, and inquiries.
- Staff the Alumni Fundraising for Reed Young Alumni Working Group through strategic and operational support.
- Manage and execute the young alumni population fundraising plan each year including all campaigns and solicitations, personally soliciting gifts, content brainstorming with the Young Alumni Working Group, working with the direct marketing team on the solicitation schedule, and reaching the young alumni donor goal.
- Support Reunions by overseeing and supporting the recruitment, planning, communication, and engagement efforts of several quinquennial classes.
- Oversee the student philanthropy group, Reedies for Reedies, including volunteer recruitment and management, solicitation planning and execution, identification of ways to build class affinity, and management the Reedies for Reedies student intern.
- Work with College Relations Information Services to maintain accuracy of alumni records. Work directly with alumni who are having trouble logging in to IRIS, Switchboard, and other sources.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills including reaching out in multiple ways, as needed.
- Exceptional customer service and follow-up.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Strong organizational skills and time-management skills.
- Strong conflict management skills.
- Strong aptitude for diverse technology and software including databases and excel.
- Ability to successfully work independently and as part of a team.
- Genuine desire to be of service to others.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends, as required.
- An impeccable track record of integrity and the highest professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information.
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Two to three years of professional fundraising experience is required.
- Two to three years of professional experience in volunteer management or alumni engagement is required for this position.
- Experience with working for a nonprofit is strongly preferred.
- Must possess an understanding of the values, academic mission and culture of small liberal arts colleges, although attendance at a liberal arts college is not required.
To view the full job announcement and apply online, click below. A cover letter and resume is required for submission. Priority will be given to applications received by Monday, April 10th, 2017, 5:00pm.
This position will remain open and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Share this job
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.