Data and Systems Analyst, Admission and Financial Aid
Located in Portland, Oregon, Reed College is one of the country’s leading liberal arts and sciences colleges, providing an intellectually rigorous undergraduate experience. Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. Reed cultivates an inclusive learning environment by bringing together students, staff, and faculty with a variety of experiences and expertise. The Reed community works together to foster critical thought, responsible citizenship, and community engagement.
We seek a dynamic Data and Systems Analyst, Admission and Financial Aid to join our institution.
The Data and Systems Analyst provides primary analytical support for the data and systems of the Admission and Financial Aid Division; works closely with the Enrollment Leadership Team to evaluate and document requirements and data definitions, review and track projects, maintain a thorough understanding of systems and data for the division, and support the reporting needs of the division to ensure access to critical and accurate data is met in a timely manner; provides analytical assessments of admission and financial aid practices and promotes a data-driven culture throughout the division, training and leading the Admissions and Financial Aid staffs to develop analytical skills to enhance decision-making, productivity, and efficiency. This position reports to the Vice President and Dean of Admission and Financial Aid.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), retiree medical plan, college tuition assistance for employees’ children, paid holidays, paid vacation (22 days per year) and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse and onsite daycare provided by Growing Seeds.
- Primarily responsible for data management, reporting and technology processes, with emphasis on developing and utilizing system imports and exports, creating and updating custom queries and reports, and auditing data to ensure data integrity across all systems.
- Serve as project manager for the implementation of an Admission Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.
- Analyze and document Admission Office operational requirements for the CRM.
- Work with Administrative Computing and other departments to integrate the CRM with Banner, Nolij Web (and other systems).
- Provide end-user training in the use of CRM, manage CRM use and perform other CRM related tasks as required.
- Lead system configuration, related processes and data associated with the CRM, Banner and ancillary systems. Duties also encompass system security, user permissions, and access.
- Primary role importing, validating, standardizing, and extrapolating data for analysis, communications, and reporting purposes.
- Analyze, design and implement assigned information systems.
- The candidate will also provide technical support to end-users throughout the division for key software-related problems with ingenuity, creativity and technical expertise.
- Contribute to planning and leadership for the enrollment management and data analysis systems for Admissions and Financial Aid.
- Partner with and provide technical project management, training and support to Financial Aid and Admission team members; for example, online application reading and decision management, communications, portal development and form building, as well as travel, campus visit, event, interview, and volunteer management.
- Communicate with users to create mockups, define system requirements, and demo newly built features. Work in an agile, collaborative team to estimate production time, prioritize, and rapidly iterate over code to fulfill user requirements. Prepare documentation and test in a pragmatic manner. Produce creative solutions within constraints to solve business needs and execute them effectively with little supervision.
- Work with members of Admission and Financial Aid to improve and/or automate current processes related to our databases and systems. This involves identifying business processes that could be automated through enhancements to our current systems as well as developing those enhancements. It also includes identifying aspects of our current processes that could be made more efficient and making recommendations on how best to implement the changes.
- Partner with Institutional Research, Administrative Computing, and other staff members to prepare and coordinate data delivery to other systems and offices on campus.
- Collaboratively develop and implement appropriate strategies for the long-term management of divisional information, and perform periodic audits of processes and procedures used to maintain the security and integrity of data.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Willingness and ability to remain current on new technology.
- Demonstrated knowledge and database experience with one or more of the following: MS SQL, Oracle, MySQL, MS Access, or other relational database systems.
- Demonstrated experience managing resources across multiple teams and in cross module functional dependencies. Ability to work and manage multiple work streams calmly and objectively in situations under pressure while meeting internal deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to develop effective working relationships with business partners and collaborate with work teams. Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work across functional lines. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with management, technical staff, functional subject matter experts, vendors, consultants and customers.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of data warehousing, data reporting, data analysis, data profiling and data manipulation. Demonstrated ability to develop automated reports for data retrieval and analysis and familiarity with report-writing programs and integration with MS products.
- Experience presenting data in a meaningful fashion that is functional and clearly understood.
In-depth knowledge of relational database structure, SQL, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access), and admission customer relationship software (CRM) like Slate. Experience managing, planning and directing information systems business processes. Experience working with Banner or another administrative database system for higher education is preferred. Bachelor's Degree or any combination of education and experience in data and systems analysis work.
- How would this position at Reed College contribute to achievement of your long-term professional goals?
- Of which accomplishment in your recent professional experience are you most proud?
- As all members of Reed’s community are expected to contribute to a diverse and inclusive campus, describe how you might use your background, education or experience to contribute to diversity at Reed.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted, so applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Share this job
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.