Share this job
The Custodian/Combination Worker is responsible for cleaning residence halls, academic buildings and administrative offices on campus. The Custodian will also move furniture and equipment and support set up for special events on campus. This position reports to the Building Services Manager.
This is a full-time, non-exempt, union position, working 40 hours per week on day shift from 8:00am to 4:30pm. The starting pay is $17.06 per hour. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year), paid holidays, paid vacation and many other campus amenities, such as access to the campus fitness center for employee and partner and discounted TriMet bus passes.
Who You Are
- You enjoy working independently, but can also work with a team.
- It's easy for you to follow instructions, given verbally or written.
- You enjoy physical work such as lifting heavy furniture and equipment.
- You care about details. You take pride in completing your work.
- You’ll bring an important aspect of diversity to our team.
- Your co-workers would describe you as a friendly person and you go out of your way to provide good service.
- You see a problem and come up with a solution before your supervisor has to point it out to you.
- You can easily look at a list of tasks and decide which task is most important.
- You've worked with different types of equipment, tools, materials, supplies and chemicals required for cleaning, buffing & waxing.
- Safety is essential. You have experience identifying hazards in the workplace.
What You’ll Do
- Clean and disinfect bathroom and kitchen fixtures, drinking fountains, and other facilities; clean and polish mirrors and restroom hardware; restock all supplies when required.
- Collect trash and waste paper and deposit in appropriate waste receptacles.
- Safely operate all custodial equipment, hand and power tools, or vehicles to perform cleaning and light maintenance duties.
- Maintain cleaning supplies and requests additional supplies as needed.
- Perform a variety of floor cleaning tasks including vacuuming, spotting and shampooing carpets, sweeping, damp mopping, stripping and refinishing non-carpeted floors.
- Set-up and dismantle for events and meetings; arrange tables, chairs, and other furniture as requested. Move furniture for maintenance work in offices or public spaces.
- Pick-up and deliver supplies and materials on campus as needed.
Six months of custodial/cleaning experience or any combination of experience and education. A valid driver’s license is preferred. Union membership is a condition of employment.
Majority of work is performed indoors with exposure to chemicals and cleaning agents. Physical effort may be required to safely lift heavy objects up to 50 pounds.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume is required. You can submit your document(s) in any format, but pdf works best.
As you apply online, you will also be expected to provide an answer to the following:
- If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted. This position will remain open until a candidate accepts our job offer.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.