Share this job
The Reed College Accounting Assistant/Cashier is an important member of the college’s business office. This role provides excellent customer service directly to students, faculty and staff at the cashier window. This role also has accounting and reconciling responsibilities and reports to the college’s Controller.
This is a full-time, exempt position working 37.5 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm with a one-hour unpaid lunch. Starting salary is $40,500 per year. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), retiree medical plan, college tuition assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, seven paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse and discounted Trimet transit passes.
Who You Are
- You have impeccable integrity.
- You have been commended at work for being friendly and having excellent customer service.
- People would describe you as flexible in new situations and environments and you are comfortable with change.
- You demonstrate proactive behaviors in solving problems and you are resourceful in order to find a solution.
- You contribute an important aspect of diversity to our team.
- You enjoy data entry and accuracy is extremely important to you.
- You have work experience handling cash and you enjoy this responsibility. You know the importance of balancing your drawer each night.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and are a good listener.
- You care about details. You don’t like to make mistakes. You’re the person who has a systematic process to make sure that everything has a place and you don’t miss important deadlines.
- You enjoy working in an open office with a strong team environment. You don’t need quiet alone time to do detailed work without errors.
What You’ll Do (Essential Functions)
- Perform the full range of cashier duties, including receiving money, recording transactions, cashing checks, making bank deposits and balancing the cash fund daily.
- Provide customer service such as answering questions about student accounts and other general business office inquiries.
- Perform data entry of transactions in Banner, the college’s ERP system.
- Reconcile and process various funds.
- Process and print bi-weekly checks and accompanying reports.
- Disburse financial aid checks and receive tuition payments.
At least two years of work experience in a professional work environment. Some experience using spreadsheets such as Excel, Access, Google Sheets. Accounting or bookkeeping training or experience is a plus. Experience working with an ERP/Database systems is a plus. Experience working as a bank teller is also a plus.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to achievement of your long-term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will be asked to provide an answer to the following:
- All members of Reed's community are expected to contribute to a diverse, equitable and inclusive campus. Employees who experience the most success at Reed are comfortable interacting with a diverse group of students, colleagues and community members. How would you use your skills and experience to contribute to inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. Application review will begin Monday, October 22, 2018. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Reed College’s goal is to reply to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.