Share this job
Do you enjoy providing great service to others? This may be the job for you! Consider joining a dedicated team of professionals who enjoy working together. The Custodian/Combination Worker is responsible for cleaning of academic buildings, administrative offices, and residence halls on campus; moving furniture and equipment and supporting set up for special events on campus.
This is a full-time, non-exempt, union position, working 40 hours per week on swing shift from 4:30pm to 1:00am. Starting pay is $16.85 per hour. Reed College offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year), paid holidays, paid vacation and many other campus amenities, such as access to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse and discounted TriMet bus passes.
Who You Are
- You enjoy working independently, but can also work with a team.
- It's easy for you to follow instructions, given verbally or written.
- You can easily look at a list of tasks and decide which task is most important.
- You've worked with different types of equipment, tools, materials, supplies and chemicals required for cleaning, buffing & waxing.
- You enjoy physical work such as lifting heavy furniture and equipment.
- You’ll bring an important aspect of diversity to our team.
- Your co-workers would describe you as a friendly person and you go out of your way to provide good service.
- You see a problem and come up with a solution before your supervisor has to point it out to you.
- You care about details. You take pride in completing your work.
- Safety is essential. You have experience identifying hazards in the workplace.
What You’ll Do (Essential Duties)
- Performs a variety of floor cleaning tasks including vacuuming, spotting and shampooing carpets, sweeping, damp mopping, striping and refinishing non-carpeted floors.
- Cleans and disinfects bathroom and kitchen fixtures, drinking fountains, and other facilities; cleans and polishes mirrors and restroom hardware; restocks all supplies when required.
- Collects trash and waste paper and deposits in appropriate waste receptacles.
- Safely operates all custodial equipment, hand and power tools, or vehicles to perform cleaning and light maintenance duties.
- Sets-up and dismantles for events and meetings; arranges tables, chairs, and other furniture as requested. Moves furniture for maintenance work in offices or public spaces.
- Maintains cleaning supplies and requests additional supplies as needed.
- Picks-up and delivers supplies and materials on campus as required.
Six months of custodial experience or any combination of experience and education. And a valid driver’s license. Must pass a pre-employment physical. Union membership is a condition of employment.
Majority of work is performed indoors with exposure to chemicals and cleaning agents. Physical effort may be required to safely lift heavy objects up to 50 pounds.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required for submission. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to achievement of your long-term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will also be expected to provide an answer to the following:
- All members of Reed's community are expected to contribute to a diverse, equitable and inclusive campus. Employees who experience the most success at Reed are comfortable interacting with a diverse group of students, colleagues and community members. How would you use your skills and experience to contribute to community growth?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted, so applicants are encouraged to apply early. Application review will begin Monday, January 7, 2019. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Reed College’s goal is to reply to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.