Departmental Associate, Chemistry
Share this job
We invite applications for a departmental associate position in chemistry at Reed College.
The chemistry departmental associate is responsible for preparing, organizing and teaching introductory general chemistry laboratories. This position will also provide assistance for students as needed, evaluate and grade laboratory reports, supervise student laboratory teaching assistants, and assist faculty with other aspects of course management. This role reports to the faculty chair of chemistry.
Located in Portland, Oregon, Reed College is one of the country's leading liberal arts colleges, offering a rigorous academic program to approximately 1,400 undergraduates.
This is a part-time, fixed-term, one-year position (.75 FTE) with a start date of August 7, 2019 with an end date of May 20, 2020. The salary for this position is $48,750. Reed offers an exceptional benefits package.
WHO YOU ARE/WHAT YOU BRING
- You have knowledge of current laboratory and safety techniques, practices and procedures
- You possess the ability to think strategically, problem solve and manage multiple projects
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You enjoy mentoring students in a laboratory setting
- You are comfortable supervising the work of student grader and teaching assistants
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Preparation for Chemistry 101 and 102 laboratories including setting up equipment and preparing reagents
- Teach lab sections during fall and spring semester
- Grade student assignments and reports
- Coordinate safety training for beginning chemistry students
- Train and supervise student laboratory teaching assistants
PhD in Chemistry or related discipline, or any combination of experience and education that provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the job. Related teaching experience (including as a teaching assistant) is preferred.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application, which requires a CV, cover letter, contact information for three references, and a brief response to a question about diversity. In your cover letter, please discuss why you are interested in this position.
You will be notified by email before your references are contacted. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with an initial resume review by June 11, 2019 and the position will remain open until filled. Please direct any inquiries to Julie Fry firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reed College replies to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.