Environmental Health and Safety Specialist
Environmental Health and Safety
Share this job
Reed College seeks a well organized, proactive and collaborative person to be our next Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist. The Specialist is responsible for designing, developing, implementing, and overseeing programs that promote and improve campus occupational safety. This role reports to the Director of EHS and Risk Management and acts as a primary contact for front line employees up to senior leadership.
This is full-time role. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), educational assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, 7 paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer and many other campus amenities, such as library borrowing privileges, membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse and discounted TriMet bus passes. Salary for this position is $54,000 per year.
WHO YOU ARE / WHAT YOU BRING
- You are organized and task driven with proven success managing multiple projects/programs.
- You have an eye for identifying inefficiencies and opportunities for process improvement.
- You enjoy research and synthesizing detailed information to apply best practices to your work.
- You bring an important aspect of diversity to our team.
- You are a proactive communicator and people describe your verbal and written communication skills as excellent.
- While self motivated, you are also collaborative. You enjoy working across departments to simplify policy and process while also making them more effective.
- You can work with and build strong relationships with colleagues who are different than you.
- You are able to understand state and federal regulations and are comfortable communicating them to others.
- You are able to think outside of the box and embrace new or novel solutions.
- Implement and maintain multiple safety policies and programs including but not limited to confined space, ergonomics, respiratory protection, electrical safety, chemical safety and waste management, machine guarding, hearing protection, fall protection and industrial trucks.
- Developing procedures and practices around safety policies and programs, including training of staff and students as needed, testing of equipment and partnership with outside agencies to ensure safety protocols are met and improved upon. Conduct hazard assessments in conjunction with staff/faculty.
- Conduct accident investigations and maintain written documents and program. Implement corrective action procedures. Report accident/injuries/near misses to safety committee.
- Supervise EHS student employees in maintaining emergency equipment, evacuation procedures, and the chemical inventory/sds database.
- Knowledge of environmental and occupational health regulations
- Experience implementing environmental and occupational health regulations.
- Certification in Occupational Health and Safety, or Industrial Hygiene preferred but not required.
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry, biology, physics, industrial hygiene, occupational safety, or a closely related curriculum or equivalent experience in environmental health and safety is preferred but not required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfort and ability to navigate new databases/systems and to research and implement safety regulations.
- Ability to spend multiple hours a day standing and/or walking and ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
How would this position contribute to achievement of your long-term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will be asked to provide an answer to the following:
- If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Reed College’s goal is to reply to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.