Share this job
The Grounds Technician performs a variety of manual tasks to maintain the College grounds and related equipment. This is a full-time non-exempt position working 40 hours per week, typically Monday through Friday, 7:30am - 4:00pm. The pay is $19.32 per hour. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), retiree medical plan, college tuition assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, 7 paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse and discounted Trimet transit passes.
Who You Are
- You enjoy working outdoors.
- Working with plants, turf, trees, shrubs and flowers is satisfying.
- You are comfortable using and maintaining hand tools, power tools, tractors, sweepers and other equipment used in landscape maintenance.
- Safety is essential and you take precautions to make sure the area around you is safe. You have experience identifying hazards in the workplace.
- You enjoy working independently. You don’t mind prioritizing and scheduling your own work.
- You like working in a diverse environment and you enjoy interacting with people who have different backgrounds than you.
- You are a strong listener and can follow verbal instruction.
- You are able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with college staff, students and the general public.
- You are interested in obtaining an Oregon Pesticide Applicators License.
What You’ll Do (Essential Functions)
- Investigate problems and perform basic maintenance and repair of College grounds including lawns, plant, and paved areas.
- Assist in the planning and installation of landscape improvements, may select trees and shrubs for plantings.
- Plant, cultivate and maintain turf areas, shrubs, perennial plants and trees using gardening implements and power operated equipment; repair established lawns and turf area as required.
- Assist in the installation and maintenance of irrigation systems.
- Maintain and repair tools; sharpen blades.
- Maintain hard surfaces on College property including roads, parking lots and sidewalks. Clear ice and snow. Install signs and posts.
- Utilize tractors, riding mowers, blowers, sweepers and other power equipment to maintain campus grounds.
- Remove litter from campus including leaves, branches, and trash. Clean and flush storm drains as needed.
High school or G.E.D. and one (1) year of general landscape maintenance experience; or any combination of experience and education to perform the duties of the job. Working knowledge of typical northwest plant material. College course work in horticulture or landscape management preferred. Pre-employment physical and valid driver's license is required.
Work is performed both indoors and outside with exposure to weather conditions. Physical effort is required to lift heavy objects up to 50 lbs. Chemical application may be required.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to achievement of your long-term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will be asked to provide an answer to the following:
- All members of Reed's community are expected to contribute to a diverse, equitable and inclusive campus. Employees who experience the most success at Reed are comfortable interacting with a diverse group of students, colleagues and community members. How would you use your skills and experience to contribute to inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Reed College’s goal is to reply to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.