Share this job
The Maintenance Technician performs work which requires specialized skill in a variety of crafts or trades to assure effective operation and use of mechanical, electrical, plumbing systems and other facilities related furnishings, appliances, equipment, finishes, structures and landscapes. This position requires the ability to be a self-starter and work with minimum supervision going beyond the scope of work requested. The successful applicant will be a detailed communicator with strong time management skills and excellent customer service.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. The pay is $21.50/hour. The typical workweek is Tuesday through Friday 6:30am – 5:00pm. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution, paid holidays, paid vacation and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse and discounted Trimet bus passes.
Who You Are
- You enjoy working in a team environment, but are comfortable performing tasks independently, prioritizing and scheduling your own work.
- You are a good listener and can follow detailed instruction.
- You are comfortable working on a diverse and inclusive campus.
- You are an effective communicator, both verbally and in writing.
- You are able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with college staff and the general public.
- You are willing to work hard, doing what is necessary for the department to run smoothly.
- You are a continual learner and comfortable asking questions when you don’t know the answer.
- You are knowledgeable about the proper use of hand tools, small power tools and other job related equipment.
- You can read and understand blue prints and construction drawings.
- Safety is important to you. You can identify hazards and always use safety.
What You’ll Do (Essential Duties)
- Investigate problems, make adjustments to operating systems and perform all phases of maintenance and facilities installation and repair which may include electrical, data communications, telephone, mechanical, HVAC, refrigeration, plumbing, pipefitting, locksmithing, painting, general carpentry or structural repairs, as well as, irrigation and other landscape tasks.
- Maintain high profile campus areas, such as building entries, to a prescribed esthetic standard including building structure, lighting and light landscape maintenance.
- Use a variety of hand and power tools to maintain and repair systems and equipment.
- Perform preventative maintenance on mechanical systems and equipment on a regular basis; replace and repair mechanical equipment as needed. Inspect and maintain fire alarm systems to meet regulatory compliance.
- Update blueprints and drawings to reflect changes and reconfigurations. Assist in building modification projects.
- Complete required paperwork and maintain work areas in a neat and orderly manner.
- High school diploma/G.E.D and two years of experience working in a trade, construction capacity or at an educational facility preferred. Or any combination of experience and education that provides the desired skills, knowledge, and ability required to perform the work.
- Master level license or certification in one trade or craft.
- Pre-employment physical and valid driver's license is required.
Work is performed both indoors and outside with exposure to weather conditions. Physical effort may be required to lift heavy objects. May be required to work with hazardous chemicals and materials.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required for submission. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to achievement of your long-term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will also be expected to provide an answer to the following:
- All members of Reed's community are expected to contribute to a diverse, equitable and inclusive campus. Employees who experience the most success at Reed are comfortable interacting with a diverse group of students, colleagues and community members. How would you use your skills and experience to contribute to community growth?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted, so applicants are encouraged to apply early. Initial review of applications will begin on June 21, 2019. This position will remain open until filled.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.