On-Call Registered Nurse
Health and Counseling
Share this job
Reed College Student Health and Counseling Center (HCC) is seeking an on-call Registered Nurse. The on-call Registered Nurse provides a full range of nursing duties and support as part of the HCC team. This position contributes to the mission of the HCC through teamwork and collaboration, participation in organizational committees, and strives to contribute to the academic success of Reed College students. The on-call Registered Nurse works as an integral part of the Student Health and Counseling team. This position administers and coordinates patient care and patient flow. The on-call registered nurse participates in all areas of the clinic and is responsible for the progress, direction, coordination and evaluation of designated areas in conjunction with the Medical Services Manager.
The HCC has a strong commitment to hiring a diverse workforce, inclusivity in the workplace, and to maintaining a work and learning environment that is free from all forms of discrimination. The HCC believes that a diverse workforce will better enable us to serve and meet the needs of our diverse student population.
This is an on-call position working varied hours from mid-August through mid-May. The pay is $35/hour. This position is not eligible for Reed College’s employee benefits, with the exception that you may participate in and make voluntary contributions to our 403b retirement plan and you are eligible for Oregon Paid Sick Time. You will have access to many other campus amenities, such as library borrowing privileges, membership to the campus fitness center and discounted TriMet bus passes.
Who You Are
- You are passionate about inclusivity in the provision of health care services
- You enjoy working in a fast paced and busy environment where priorities may change quickly.
- You are aware of the multiplicity of intersecting identities including race, ethnicity, gender identity and sexual orientation.
- You are conscious of limitations, disparities and social inequality of health care accessibility to historically oppressed and marginalized populations.
- You are compassionate
- You understand the health challenges affecting late adolescents and young adults.
- You enjoy educating and consulting students toward enhancing a healthy life style and reducing health-compromising behaviors.
- You are comfortable participating in case management and case review with nursing staff, medical consultant, and administrative director.
- You thrive at developing and maintaining professional working relationships in a multi-disciplinary setting
- You are a champion for health, wellbeing and health promotion
- You bring an important aspect of diversity and a fresh perspective to our team
What You’ll Do (Essential Duties)
- Independently assess, plan, prepare, administer, and evaluate nursing care to students
- Administer medications, immunizations, parenteral therapy and other treatments as ordered by the provider
- Assess those aspects of care requiring immediate intervention
- Perform accurate, ongoing pertinent assessments; completes documentation in electronic health record
- Refer patient problems and complaints through appropriate channels
- Communicate to and with the other health team members
- Demonstrate willingness and self-initiative to develop the knowledge and skills that would improve patient care and provide patient education
Possession of a valid unencumbered Registered Nurse’s license for the State of Oregon and current BLS certification at hire. Demonstrated proficiency with an electronic health record. Two years’ experience in an ambulatory primary care setting is preferred. Experience in a college health setting is preferred.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required for submission. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to pursuit of your long-term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will also be expected to provide an answer to the following:
- If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. This recruitment will remain open until the position is filled.
Reed College’s goal is to reply to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Apply for this job
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.