Physics Laboratory Coordinator
Share this job
The Physics Department at Reed College invites applications for a Physics Laboratory Coordinator. Located in Portland, Oregon, Reed College is one of the country’s leading liberal arts and sciences colleges, providing an intellectually rigorous undergraduate experience. The physics department at Reed College regularly graduates upwards of 20 physics majors a year, nearly half of whom go on to graduate study in physics or related fields.
The Physics Laboratory Coordinator oversees all aspects of the freshman physics laboratory, including training and supervising a team of undergraduate teaching assistants and collaborating with faculty to design and implement new laboratory content. Working with faculty, they will also develop demonstrations for use across the physics curriculum.
This is a full-time exempt position, working 37.5 hours a week. The annual salary for this position is $61,000 and will be paid semi-monthly. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), retiree medical plan, college tuition assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, seven paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse and discounted Trimet transit passes.
Who You Are
- You enjoy teaching and mentoring undergraduate students.
- You have strong organizational, analytical, and experimental skills.
What You’ll Do (Essential Duties)
- Organize and train the student teaching assistants (~8), and oversee their work in the freshman laboratory.
- Lead development of new laboratory curricula in collaboration with faculty and keep up-to-date the introductory physics laboratory manual.
- Interact with and assist freshman students. Evaluate the scientific content and clarity of student work during longer open-ended projects (these can involve a significant written component).
- Grade quarterly open-ended lab reports and provide students with detailed feedback on technical writing, experimental technique, and data analysis.
- Organize and maintain laboratory equipment. Keep the laboratory clean, safe and ready for use each week.
- Research, design, construct, present, and preserve physics demonstrations for use across the physics curriculum.
A Masters in physics or a related discipline.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to achievement of your long-term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will be asked to provide an answer to the following:
- All members of Reed's community are expected to contribute to a diverse, equitable and inclusive campus. Employees who experience the most success at Reed are comfortable interacting with a diverse group of students, colleagues and community members. How would you use your skills and experience to contribute to inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. Initial review of applications will be completed by January, 25, 2019. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Reed College’s goal is to reply to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.