Reactor Operations Manager
Share this job
Reed College is seeking a Reactor Operations Manager to join our Reactor Facility team. The primary mission of the reactor is educating students and members of the public, and the Reactor Operations Manager plays a huge role in fulfilling this mission. The Reactor Operations Manager will supervise and coordinate operational and maintenance activities in the TRIGA Reactor Facility and will insure that these activities are performedsafely and in accordance with the reactor operating license and technical specifications, as issued by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. This is an excellent opportunity to mentor a diverse group of undergraduate students.
This is a full-time exempt position with a starting pay salaryrange of $39,000-$41,000 per year. Reed College offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year), retiree medical plan, college tuition assistance for employees’ children, paid holidays, paid vacation and many other campus amenities, such as access to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse and discounted TriMet bus passes.
WHO YOU ARE
- You are unflappable when things go wrong. You thrive in fixing problems and are cool under fire.
- You care about details. You’re the person who catches the typos when you’re reading something.
- You have strong oral and written interpersonal skills and are an active listener.
- You understand state and federal regulations and are good at helping others understand them too.
- You are a lifelong learner who enjoys learning from and educating others.
- You can work with and build strong relationships with colleagues and/or students who are different than you.
- You have a sense for organization and and a knack for managing your time effectively.
- You bring an important aspect of diversity to our team.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Supervising all aspects of the daily operations and maintenance of the reactor and the performance of the reactor operators. In the event of an emergency, the Operations Manager may be required to respond at any time including nights and weekends.
- Coordination of student project and thesis work.
- Proficient in applicable laws, regulations and licensing requirements; enforces administrative rules, operating procedures and regulations including troubleshooting detectors and other equipment, to ensure that the reactor facility operates in a safe and competent manner at all times.
- Manages between 30-40 student operators. Responsibilities include hiring, development, and coaching.
- Conducting initial investigations of unusual reactor operation occurrences and prepares the necessary corrective action reports.
- Responsible for waste shipments and maintenance of applicable certification
- Assists with independent student projects, tours, training and classes and communications with Federal, State and Local regulators.
- Bachelor’s degree with reactor operations experience requ
- Experience working with and supervising a student population strongly preferred.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check (which includes fingerprinting, FRCA, MMPI, etc); a physical exam based on ANSI 15:4; and obtain a Senior Reactor Operator License within nine months of employment.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required for submission. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to achievement of your long-term professional goals?
As you apply online, you will also be expected to provide an answer to the following:
- All members of Reed's community are expected to contribute to a diverse, equitable and inclusive campus. Employees who experience the most success at Reed are comfortable interacting with a diverse group of students, colleagues and community members. How would you use your skills and experience to contribute to community growth?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Reed College’s goal is to reply to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.