Director of Technology Infrastructure Services
Technology Infrastructure Services
Share this job
The Director of Technology Infrastructure Services (TIS) is a member of the senior staff in Computing & Information Services and provides leadership to the TIS staff. Responsibilities include design, management, and troubleshooting of: data and voice networks, central, virtual, and remote servers, internet access, network services including Google Apps for Education (GAE), and related areas of technology support. This is a challenging and rewarding opportunity to work with talented people in diverse settings.
The Director of TIS is a full-time, exempt position with an annual salary of $90,000. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), educational assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer and many other campus amenities, such as library borrowing privileges, membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse and discounted TriMet bus passes.
Who You Are
- You prefer a team environment but are comfortable working alone
- You give thoughtful feedback and are equally comfortable receiving it
- You are strong at articulating your ideas to others and building consensus
- You have experience managing projects and collaborating with other team members
- You are self-motivated and love solving complex problems
- You bring an important aspect of diversity and a fresh perspective to our team
- You are familiar with technical and legal compliance requirements
- You are steadfast, making sure the job gets done
What You'll Do (Essential Duties)
- Provide outstanding leadership and management to a staff of four, including professional development and training
- Prepare and monitor TIS budgets and expenditures
- Plan, design, implement, and maintain networked services in conjunction with TIS staff
- Collaborate with the CISO, the CIO, and others to implement and maintain campus-wide cybersecurity measures to protect systems and data
- Collaborate with the CIO and other members of the CIS senior staff to develop campus-wide operational goals and strategic plans for technology
- Collaborate with Facilities, architects, and contractors on technology designs for new and renovated buildings
- Oversee the purchase of network, telecommunications, and server hardware and software and contractor installations
- Provide support for access to regional and national data networks
- Provide after-hours networking and telecommunications support in response to urgent and emergency situations
- Supervisory experience of IT staff and operations
- Project management expertise
- Experience designing, implementing and maintaining network and telecommunications services
- Excellent communication, leadership, and problem-solving skills in a diverse technical environment
- Familiarity with operational and legal compliance requirements in a higher education environment
- Bachelor’s degree or sufficient combination of academic credentials and directly related work experience
- Familiarity with a wide variety of infrastructure technologies including:
- data and voice network hardware and software
- network security protocols and best practices
- InCommon, Shibboleth, or other identity management tools
- Kerberos, LDAP, Active Directory, and other authentication, authorization, and directory services
- cloud services integration
- open source software development and management
- UNIX, Linux, MacOS, Windows, and other common OS platforms
- server virtualization
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required for submission. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to pursuit of your long-term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will also be expected to provide an answer to the following:
- All members of Reed's community are expected to contribute to a diverse, equitable and inclusive campus. Employees who experience the most success at Reed are comfortable interacting with a diverse group of students, colleagues and community members. How would you use your skills and experience to contribute to community growth?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. This recruitment will remain open until the position is filled.
Reed College’s goal is to reply to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Apply for this job
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.