Reed College has an opening for our next Assistant Director of Facilities Operations. The assistant director manages campus wide coordination and planning for facilities operations and staffing of maintenance, custodial, grounds and fleet operations in partnership with the Director of Facilities. We seek someone who is service-oriented, creative with strong strategic planning skills.
Our facilities services department maintains Reed’s campus, consisting of 1.1 million sq.ft of building on 116 acres, in a responsive and environmentally-conscious manner. The assistant director provides support by leading, directing and coordinating facility services to campus.
The assistant director is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of buildings, energy management, mechanical systems and controls; with lead responsibility for sustainability and shared responsibilities for environmental health and safety, building security, and fire/life safety.
This is a full-time, salaried position with a regular work schedule of 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, with some evening and weekend hours required. The annual salary for this position is $90,000. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse/partner, and discounted Trimet transit passes.
Who You Are
- You have experience supervising or leading the work of others.
- You have experience managing small and large projects and knowing which team members should be involved.
- You have a collaborative style in maintaining effective working relationships with your colleagues.
- You are an effective presenter of information to varying groups such as leaders, staff, and public. You have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Others would say you are a visionary. You develop and implement short and long-range plans to meet necessary needs.
- People would describe you as adaptable in new situations and environments and you are comfortable with change.
- You can juggle multiple processes and tasks at the same time and you always make sure to follow-through. You are steadfast, making sure the job gets done.
- You are a continual learner and committed to knowing the best practices and trends in facilities operations.
- You demonstrate proactive behavior in you decision making. And you make decisions with confidence.
- You enjoy working in a professional environment where interpersonal relationships are valued. You enjoy being of service to others.
What You'll Do
- Direct and oversee supervisors and managers in daily administrative and operational business and construction projects, which includes work order scheduling direct involvement in department personnel issue.
- Coordinate and successfully implement long and short-term plans, programs and contracts for the safe and effective operation of the facilities services department.
- Coordinate all facilities services activities in support of campus events and summer programs which includes analyzing and evaluating operations to resolve complex problems.
- Serve as the point of contact for sustainability efforts and programs on campus and centralize sustainability efforts across campus.
- Manage delivery of service agreements and contracts including the establishing scope of service, bid acquisition, vendor selection, work inspection & verification and invoice approval, involving direct the preparation of reports and correspondence.
- Develop, monitor and maintain plans for the condition, quality and appearance of the College’s buildings, grounds and equipment. Inspect work sites and properties on a routine basis with considerable independent judgment.
- Implement health and safety training programs.