Biology Department Associate
Share this job
The Biology Departmental Associate is responsible for preparing, organizing and teaching introductory Biology laboratories. This position will also provide assistance for students as needed, evaluate and grade laboratory reports, supervise student laboratory teaching assistants, and assist faculty with other aspects of course management and research as needed. This role reports to the faculty chair of the Biology department. Reed is committed to excellence and actively seeks diversity in its educational programs and employment practices. We welcome and encourage applicants from historically underrepresented minority groups to apply.
This is a full-time, exempt position with an annual salary of $65,000. The college’s working hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and partner and discounted Trimet transit passes. The expected start date for this position is June 1, 2020.
Who You Are
- You enjoy working with, teaching and mentoring undergraduate students
- You possess the ability to think strategically, problem solve and manage multiple projects
- A strong service orientation is important to you
- You have excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- You are committed to keeping your skills and knowledge current
- You are knowledgeable about data analysis applications such as Excel, R and JMP
- You are comfortable instructing over a broad range of biological subdisciplines.
What You’ll Do (Essential Duties)
- Collaborate with faculty members to implement curriculum
- Serve as a consultant and mentor for students majoring in Biology
- Assist in the teaching of the laboratory components of core Biology courses
- Teach lab sections during each semester
- Grade student assignments and reports
- Prepare for Biology labs
- Maintain currency on the teaching and learning of Biology by developing key contacts at professional organizations and other schools, track current literature, and learn and evaluate emerging ideas.
- Interface with the stockroom as well as student support infrastructure at Reed (e.g. Student Life, Disability and Accessibility Resources, etc.).
- PhD, or ABD considered, with related laboratory teaching experience in Biology or related discipline.
- Experience working closely with and/or supervising undergraduate college students.
Click below to apply. A resume and cover letter are required for submission. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position at Reed College contribute to achievement of your professional goals?
- Of which accomplishment in your recent professional experience are you most proud?
As you apply online, you will also be expected to provide an answer to the following:
- All members of Reed's community are expected to contribute to a diverse, equitable and inclusive campus. Employees who experience the most success at Reed are comfortable interacting with a diverse group of students, colleagues and community members. How would you use your skills and experience to contribute to community growth?
This position will remain open until filled.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.