Community Safety Officer
Share this job
Reed College Community Safety Officers (CSO's) fulfill many roles in our community. In addition to traditional security work (e.g., responding to alarms and locking things up), we respond to all safety and security concerns, are trained first responders for emergency calls on campus, actively interact with students in both structured events and while around campus, patrol residence halls, and many other duties as needed.
This is a full time position scheduled to work 40 hours per week. The schedule for this position will likely be night shift. Typical hours for night shift are 9pm-7am, four days per week with an hourly pay rate of $19.58. A CSO may be scheduled day, swing and graveyard shifts on other days of the week if needed. While security industry or related experience may be helpful, it is not required as we train all new hires on the job though our two-month Field Training Evaluation Program, with extensive, ongoing in-service training. Successful candidates come from a wide variety of backgrounds.
Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), educational assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and spouse/partner.WHO YOU ARE
- Your focus is on excellent customer service
- Your coworkers trust and value your judgment and would consider you a strong team player
- You will bring an important aspect of diversity to our team and value diversity and inclusion
- You enjoy communicating with a wide variety of people, both in person and in writing and on the phone
- You prefer a team environment at work but are not afraid to take initiative and are self motivated
- You understand the importance of building relationships at work while also have demonstrated understanding of professional boundaries
- When others may see roadblocks, you see the opportunity for creating solutions
- You work well under stressful/chaotic situations
- You have related experience which include customer service, emergency medical services, social work, or public safety
- Survey and evaluate campus environment for safety and security hazards
- Respond to medical incidents; fire-related emergencies; alarms and notifications from the alarm systems, including for a nuclear reactor
- Respond to all other incidents of crime and campus emergency situations, provide crisis intervention in a higher education setting
- Interface and engage in conversation with students and other members of the campus community
- Route calls on the main college switchboard
- Receive and prioritize emergency and non-emergency calls from the college community
- Valid driver license and be comfortable driving a vehicle in emergency situations
- Must pass a post-offer physical examination
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Ability to be DPSST certified (we will facilitate this training once hired)
- Must be able to work on your feet for most of the day and to sit/climb/squat as needed
Click on the apply now button below. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.