Director of Admission Operations
Share this job
Reed College seeks an organized, driven, and skilled leader to be our Director of Admission Operations. The Director of Admission Operations leads a team of data and systems professionals who manage the college’s processes for recruiting prospective students and selecting them for admission. These processes are sensitive, complex, and important, as selecting a college is one of the most meaningful decisions that a family makes. This role will be instrumental in improving the experience of prospective students, as well as improving the experience and efficiency of members of the admission and financial aid teams throughout the admission lifecycle. The Director of Admission Operations reports to the Vice President and Dean of Admission and Financial Aid and is a member of the senior leadership team for the enrollment division.
Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), educational assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities. This is a full-time, exempt role with work hours of 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., although it is not unusual to work extra hours when working on deadline.
Who You Are
- You prefer a fast-paced environment at work. You like being busy and having a long and interesting To Do list. You like to crank out work.
- Even though you excel at solving problems on the fly, you are a systems and process person at heart. You have strong experience designing systems to reduce errors and increase efficiency. After you design a process, you know you aren’t done until you measure its effectiveness. You never met a business process you didn’t want to improve.
- You take pride in humanizing processes. You have been commended for improving users’ experience.
- You are an exceptional project manager. You always have a plan, and you always meet your deadlines.
- In addition to always having a plan, you always have empathy for your co-collaborators. People like working with you because you’re organized yet flexible.
- You enjoy being a team leader. You understand the importance of setting goals with each of your employees, as well as meeting weekly for one-on-ones. You are skilled at giving feedback to your team members. You are a student of leadership and are always striving to improve your own management skills.
- You’re a data fiend. You sometimes find yourself going home late because you’ve been immersed in an interesting data set.
- You understand the power of diversity and equity, and you center these in your work. You have a track record of hiring those with diverse backgrounds. You yourself contribute an important aspect of diversity to your work team.
- You prefer a team environment, rather than working alone. You don’t hesitate to roll up your sleeves and pitch in, even when it’s not your job.
What You’ll Do
- Serve as a member of the Enrollment Division leadership team
- Supervise, mentor, and lead the admission operations team of three data and systems specialists who have responsibility for data entry and processing, routine and ad hoc reports and audits, as well as inventory tracking and mailing.
- Hold primary accountability for administration of the admission department’s CRM, Slate Technolutions.
- Partner across the admission and financial aid departments to ensure accurate and efficient flow of applicant data. Streamline processes, document workflows, and find opportunities for operational efficiencies within and between departments across the admission lifecycle.
- Develop and manage targeted research, including enrollment projections, financial aid models, and territory recruitment reports
- Partner with the communications team to identify opportunities for outreach, ensure accurate delivery to target populations, and assess the effectiveness of communication strategies
- Model scenarios, isolate variables, and test approaches that measure effectiveness of existing and new processes
- Recommend strategies and plans to address opportunities and gaps in the enrollment funnel with the aim of increasing inquiries and converting more of these to applications and ultimately, enrolled students.
- Help hone the set of admission and financial aid metrics that guide the work of the division.
- Provide support and training to enrollment staff on data best practices, including data hygiene, data security, and data-informed decision making
- At least five years of experience in a systems or operations leadership role.
- Three years of experience in managing, not just using, a CRM. Experience using Slate is a plus.
- Three years of experience as a manager, supervising the work of direct reports.
- Three years of experience writing SQL queries.
- Expert level knowledge of Excel, including graphs, pivot tables, and other advanced analytical functions.
- Experience working in higher education is a plus.
- Experience closely managing vendor relationships is a plus.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to achievement of your long-term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will be asked to provide an answer to the following:
- If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Reed College replies to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.