Financial Aid Counselor
Share this job
Reed College is seeking our next Financial Aid Counselor. The financial aid counselor evaluates and processes all financial aid files. As part of a team, the financial aid counselor provides direct support to prospective students, current students, and their families. The financial aid counselor assists in determining financial need according to institutional and federal methodologies, revising aid awards verifying data, and maintaining software. This position delivers public presentations for financial aid, recruitment, and retention purposes, serving as an expert on financial aid programs. This position reports to the Director of Financial Aid.
This is a full-time, exempt role with typical working hours Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Starting annual salary for this position is $49,000. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities.
Who You Are
- You are customer oriented and provide excellent service to students and their families.
- You are able to work on multiple priorities and multiple projects in parallel. You are comfortable managing large workloads.
- You are detail oriented and managing details comes naturally to you, especially working with numbers.
- You are empathic. You show compassion and strong desire to help students and families.
- You can have difficult conversations with students and their families in a way that shows care and concern.
- You are adaptable and you can keep up with ongoing changes. You are flexible and willing to go with the flow.
- You can identify problems in processes and systems and suggest creative improvements to determine a solution.
- You understand the big picture and how your role fits into that context. You are a team player.
- You are good at presenting complex ideas and processes in understandable terms. Others would describe you as a strong communicator.
- You carry a positive outlook. You thrive in being an engaged community member.
What You’ll Do
- With a high degree of professionalism, counsel and provide guidance to students and families on all issues related to institutional financial aid, Federal Title IV funds, and state grant programs
- Manage in-depth contact with students and families via email, telephone, virtually, and in person with skill and finesse
- Administer one or more federal, state, or institutional aid programs
- Review and verify financial aid applications to meet federal and institutional requirements
- Assist in awarding federal, state and institutional financial aid
- Represent the financial aid office at open houses, high school financial aid presentations, and community events including evening and weekends throughout the year
- Revise financial aid awards based on federal and institutional policy
- Record and document all award decisions in the BANNER enterprise system
- Assist with the development of policies and procedures
Bachelor's degree and two years of progressively responsible experience related to financial aid, student services, or counseling, or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Experience managing data in a database is preferred.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to the pursuit of your long term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will also be expected to provide an answer to the following:
Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. Initial review of applications will begin on January 4, 2021 and applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Reed College replies to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Apply for this job
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.