Mail Services Manager
Share this job
Reed College is seeking a Mail Services Manager to lead our mail services team. Mail Services, along with Print Services and the Bookstore is part of Reed’s Auxiliary Services department. The Mail Services Manager oversees domestic, international and intra-campus shipping and receiving services for the college community. This position also provides supervision to the campus mailroom staff and student employees. The Reed campus mailroom is typically open Monday through Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm. This position reports to the Director of Bookstore and Auxiliary Services.
This is a full-time, exempt position with a salary of $57,000.Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and partner and discounted Trimet transit passes.
Who You Are
- You are willing to work hard, doing what is necessary for your department to run smoothly.
- You can work effectively with colleagues and/or students that may approach things differently or have different experiences than yourself.
- You have a sense for organization and demonstrate proactive behaviors to maintain an orderly and clean work area.
- You have been commended at work for being friendly and for having excellent customer service.
- You can juggle multiple detailed tasks while cheerfully helping people who visit your office.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and are a good listener.
- You enjoy collaborating on teams.
- You have a strong interest in improving processes and procedures to increase efficiency in day-to-day operations.
- You are technologically savvy and able to learn new systems and programs pretty easily.
- You prefer working in a diverse environment and you enjoy interactive interacting with people who have different backgrounds than you.
What You'll Do
- Assign, supervise, schedule and evaluate the work of assigned staff; advise, assist and train direct reports, including hiring and discipline.
- Supervise the receiving, sorting, and processing of domestic, intra-campus and international mail. Oversee distribution of mail and packages to student and faculty mail boxes and offices.
- Supervise and/or prepare outgoing mail and package shipments including USPS, UPS and FedEx shipments to both domestic and international recipients. Process non-profit, First Class and Periodical bulk mailings using inserter, inkjet printer and strapping machine. Maintain and update student box assignment lists.
- Provide customer service and supervise activity at the mail room window; accept and process mail and provide information to the community regarding mailing procedures and cost.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, and standards for efficient and effective mail service activities. Recommend policy and procedure applicable to mail services; remain up-to-date regarding regulations and procedures.
- Supervise and monitor 15-20 student employees, including maintaining student employee records and work schedules. Assist with coordinating and maintaining the student employee hiring process for the campus mailroom.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.