Health and Counseling
Share this job
This Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) provides direct and indirect student-centered care and services to the students attending Reed College. This position requires direct student communication, critical thinking skills, and proactive problem-solving skills. The CMA provides the clinical expertise to ensure that all students receive high quality, inclusive, and safe care. The CMA exhibits initiative, a strong work ethic, and displays team cohesiveness. In discharging these duties, the CMA at all times retains the interests of gender, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disabilities, etc., at the very core of their work with students and other staff. This position reports to the Medical Services Director.
This is a 10-month position working full-time August through May. This is a non-exempt position with a pay of $19.61/hour. The typical work hours for this position are Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and partner and discounted Trimet transit passes.
Who You Are
- You enjoy working with college aged students and adolescents.
- You are able to interact effectively and compassionately with staff and students of diverse backgrounds.
- You are self-aware, in terms of understanding your own culture, identity, biases, prejudices, power, and privilege and seek continued growth in these areas.
- You show initiative and have a strong work ethic.
- You display team cohesiveness. You retain the interests of gender, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disabilities and other identities at the very core of your work with students.
- You actively participate in self-evaluation by utilizing guidance and constructive feedback in a professional manner.
- You are effective in a situation where circumstances and priorities are changing. Others would describe you as flexible, adaptable and versatile.
- You have excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- You collaborate with the many individuals (including parents, family, spouse, partner, significant other, other members of the campus community, and other health care providers) in providing patient care and advocacy, education and continuity of care that is in compliance with HIPAA and FERPA.
- You seek knowledge and skills appropriate to college health care systems and integrate new information and methodologies.
What You’ll Do
- Coordinating back office work of the clinic to assist and support providers with tasks and time management.
- Exam room set-up, including cleaning and stocking supplies in between visits
- Perform student rooming (ie; vitals, medication and allergy verification) per HCC protocol.
- Update the student medical record as needed and documents per HCC protocol.
- Prepare students for examinations and performs/reviews routine screening tests, such as PHQ 2/9, vision screening, and other screenings as directed by the Medical Provider.
- Perform safe phlebotomy, collect and process specimens per HCC protocol.
- Perform safe Immunization ordered by Medical Provider.
- Administer in office medication as directed by Medical Provider.
- Perform administration of basic in office procedures: ECG, ear lavage, and other minor procedures required by a Medical Provider.
- Assist with exams and procedures as directed by the RN or Medical Provider.
- Front desk reception as needed, such as answering phones and scheduling appointments.
- Greet students, ensuring required paperwork has been completed.
Graduated from an accredited Medical Assistant training program with current CMA Certification (AAMA, CCMA) and three years’ experience as a Medical Assistant. Current BLS Certification. Experience with computers and electronic health records (EHR) and working with confidential records. Prior experience working with a CLIA-waived lab, cleaning instruments, and using an autoclave preferred.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to the pursuit of your long-term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will also be expected to provide an answer to the following:
- If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.