Share this job
Reed College seeks an experienced, detail oriented Payroll Manager to join our Business Office team. The Payroll Manager is responsible for the college’s payroll operations, in partnership with the Payroll Specialist, who reports to this position. The Payroll Manager serves as the subject matter expert and escalation point to resolve payroll related issues. This position reports to the Associate Treasurer and Controller.
Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), educational assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities. Starting salary for this position is $70,000 per year. This is a full-time, exempt role with work hours of 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Who You Are
- You take pride in your organization skills, attention to detail, and follow through.
- You have experience managing direct reports and you enjoy being a good supervisor and mentor.
- You will contribute an important aspect of diversity to the Business Office team.
- You have proven success communicating complex pay information in everyday language both verbal and written.
- You keep your knowledge of tax rules and regulations current.
- You have the ability to analyze/interpret data and recommend the best next steps.
- You are an expert at Microsoft Excel. You regularly use formulas, pivot tables, and charts.
- You truly enjoy and excel at providing excellent customer service. You don’t mind this aspect of the work in payroll.
- You value the people behind the numbers and can deliver difficult news in a polite, caring way.
- Your time management skills are exceptional. You don’t procrastinate. Your payrolls are always completed on time.
What You’ll Do
Ensure the accurate and timely processing of faculty, staff, and student payrolls and maintenance of records.
- Supervise the payroll specialist including and assisting in assigning routine and project work.
- Responsible for maintaining the Banner payroll system, including reporting, trouble-shooting/resolving processing issues, periodic software updates, and configuration updates as a result of tax/compliance changes or process improvements.
- Perform complex payroll functions, which may require resolution of complex problems, fiscal analysis, and reconciling conflicting policies and procedures.
- Maintain position control budgets and perform routine financial analysis including forecasting salaries and wages expense.
- Complete annual and quarterly state and federal payroll tax filings.
- Identify process improvement initiatives and define standards for new processes.
- Implement quality control measures and proper internal controls.
- Cover for team members in back-up role for vacation and/or high-volume work efforts.
- Respond to inquiries from faculty, staff and student employees and resolves issues as they arise.
- Partner with Dean of Faculty Office, Student work office, Human Resources and Information Technology in resolving issues and refining processes.
- At least 5 years of payroll experience, ideally including leading a payroll team
- CPP (Certified Payroll Professional) designation preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of an integrated payroll software system and ability to resolve complex system problems. System implementation experience a plus.
- Ability to perform financial analysis, including budget to actual variance analysis and forecasting.
- Ability to effectively supervise team members and work as a member of that team and organize work activities for other members of that team.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to achievement of your long-term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will be asked to provide an answer to the following:
- If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Reed College replies to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.