Senior User Support Specialist
Computer User Services
Share this job
Reed College is seeking a Senior User Support Specialist to join our computer User Services (CUS) team. The Senior User Support Specialist (SUSS) will provide high level technical support to students, faculty, and staff at the college. The SUSS will repair and provide preventive maintenance on Apple products as a Certified Apple Repair Technician at Reed, an Authorized Apple Service Provider (AASP). This position also includes facilitating PC repairs for college-owned equipment, along with providing guidance and consultation to students in need of PC repair.
The SUSS prepares and deploys computing equipment to individuals, office work areas, and labs. This includes configuring and securing accounts & operating systems, performing data migrations, and deploying physical security measures when needed. The SUSS assists the Computer Shop Manager in developing shop procedures and protocols, including repair management, computer allocations, asset management and lifecycles, student supervision and more. The SUSS documents existing processes, and is always seeking ways to streamline and improve them.
This is a full-time, exempt position with typical working hours Monday through Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm. The starting salary for this position is $60,000. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and partner and discounted Trimet transit passes.
Who You Are
- You are customer service-oriented with excellent interpersonal skills.
- You pay close attention to miniscule details. You are careful to get it right the first time.
- You are even tempered. Others can rely on you to be calm during a crisis.
- You enjoy troubleshooting and are confident in your ability to prioritize tasks.
- You have a sense for organization and demonstrate proactive behaviors to maintain an orderly work area.
- You have demonstrated technical skill and aptitude.
- You can juggle multiple tasks at the same time and you always follow-through. You effectively manage your time.
- You are able to adapt in a dynamic and quickly-changing work environment.
- You enjoy taking the initiative to complete your work. Others would describe you as self-motivated.
- You are a creative problem-solver, not just a problem-identifier.
What You’ll Do
- Provide top-tier technical support for computer hardware to faculty, students, and staff (in person, by phone, and via email)
- Perform maintenance, upgrades, and repairs of computing equipment
- Perform data migrations and assist end users with recovery from backups
- Configure, deliver, and physically secure College owned computing equipment
- Assist with recruiting, training, and management of student workers
- Assist with lifecycle management of college computing assets, from procurement through secure erasure & responsible recycling
- Consult with faculty & staff to support effective use of technology in teaching, research, and administrative work
- Maintain currency with Apple computer repair certifications
Apple certified in hardware repair or ability to become certified in 6 months. Experience working with macOS, Windows, and Linux operating systems and is comfortable exploring & utilizing command-line operations to help people and accomplish tasks. Knowledge of networking fundamentals (IP addresses, MAC addresses, basic network troubleshooting). Bachelor’s degree in a technical field or equivalent work experience preferred. Experience with computer deployment and management systems - Mobile Device Management (Jamf), DeployStudio, Apple School Manager, Apple Service Toolkit, Microsoft Deployment Tookit/Windows Deployment Services, etc, preferred.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to the pursuit of your long-term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will also be expected to provide an answer to the following:
- If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Reed College’s goal is to reply to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.