Senior User Support Specialist
Computer User Services
Share this job
Reed College is seeking a Senior User Support Specialist to join our Computer User Services (CUS) team. The CUS department includes the help desk, computer repair shop, and audio-visual services. CUS is often the first stop for community members in need of computer support. CUS staff work closely with computing staff in other areas--networking and infrastructure, web and application, enterprise systems, and instructional technology. This position reports to the Director of Computer User Services.
The Senior User Support Specialist (SUSS) provides high level technical support to students, faculty, and staff at the college. This includes operating system, software application, and network troubleshooting in both academic and enterprise environments.
The SUSS plays a leading role in managing the college’s fleet of Apple devices, utilizing system management tools to create and manage policies, configuration profiles, scripts, and more. The SUSS also provides assistance in managing college-owned Windows computers.
This is a full-time, exempt position with typical working hours Monday through Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm. The starting salary for this position is $60,000. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and partner and discounted Trimet transit passes.
Who You Are
- You are a skilled support specialist with a wide-range of technical experience. You are always seeking to learn more.
- You are passionate about working with a range of users to solve technology problems.
- You remain calm and clear-headed in a crisis situation. Others look towards your leadership to get out of a sticky situation.
- You thrive working alongside others in a collaborative environment and also appreciate independent work.
- You are customer service-oriented with excellent interpersonal skills.
- You pay close attention to miniscule details. You are careful to get it right the first time.
- You enjoy troubleshooting and are confident in your ability to prioritize tasks.
- You have a sense for organization and managing complex technical systems.
- You can prioritize multiple tasks at the same time and you always follow through.
- You are able to adapt in a dynamic and quickly-changing work environment.
- You enjoy taking the initiative to complete your work. Others would describe you as self-motivated.
- You are a creative problem-solver, not just a problem-identifier.
What You’ll Do
- Provide top-tier technical support to faculty, students, and staff (in person, and via phone, email, chat, and screen share)
- Manage the college’s fleet of Apple computers in Jamf
- Assist with the deployment & management of college Windows computers
- Assist with account creation and lifecycle management for all college computing accounts
- Manage specialized workstations in the Health & Counseling Center and assist the HCC with its use of IT resources to the extent possible
- Assist with recruiting, training, and mentoring of student workers
- Assist with development and documentation of help desk procedures and protocols
- Assist with management of systems critical to help desk operations
- Perform data migrations and assist end users with recovery from backups
- Consult with faculty & staff to support effective use of technology in teaching, research, and administrative work
- Experience providing support in an enterprise environment
- Knowledge of macOS, Windows, and Linux operating systems
- Knowledge of networking fundamentals (IP addresses, MAC addresses, basic network troubleshooting)
- Experience with ticketing systems, asset management systems and databases preferred
- Familiarity with computing account management and lifecycles
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field or equivalent work experience is a plus
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to the pursuit of your long-term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will also be expected to provide an answer to the following:
- If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Initial review of applications will begin on Monday, November 23, 2020. Early applications are encouraged.
Reed College’s goal is to reply to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.