Special Assistant to the President
Office of the President
Share this job
Reed College seeks a seasoned professional to be our next Special Assistant to the President. The Special Assistant reports to the Executive Assistant to the President and in partnership, they support the President of the College in management of comprehensive presidential operations. This is an exciting, interesting, and important role at the college.
Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), educational assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and access to many campus amenities. Starting salary for this position is $60,000 per year. This is a full-time, exempt role with standard office hours of 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Some evening and weekend work is required.
Who You Are
- You are a skilled administrative professional. You already know that you enjoy the challenge of working in a busy leader’s office.
- You are a make-it-happen person. You don’t procrastinate, you are compelled to jump right in to help solve problems.
- You go about your work with a sense of calm and you are able to diffuse difficult situations. You are cheerful and optimistic, even when faced with difficult circumstances.
- You are the person in the organization that knows just who to call, and when. You know what issues you can address yourself versus which ones need to be handled by another person.You don’t shy away from the issues you can handle yourself.
- You enjoy planning events and you sweat the details, so that your events make a real difference for your attendees.
- You are an exceptional proofreader. You are experienced in writing formal correspondence.
- No job is beneath you. You know that experts in administration handle a wide range of tasks from the mundane to the strategic.
- You are an exceptional project manager. You always have a plan, understand your priorities, and you always meet your deadlines.
- You are known for bringing order to your team’s work. You are a systems thinker and are always thinking about ways to get the work done faster and with no errors.
- You thrive in an environment where the unexpected is a routine part of your job and relying on your problem solving skills and resources, no challenge is insurmountable.
- You care about diversity and equity, and it shows in your work. You yourself contribute an important aspect of diversity to your work team.
- You can handle the responsibility of confidential and sensitive information. Sometimes this may feel like a heavy responsibility, however you know that it is one that is essential to your role.
- You prefer a team environment at work, rather than working alone. You don’t hesitate to roll up your sleeves and pitch in, even when it may not exactly be your responsibility.
What You’ll Do
- Work together as a team with the Executive Assistant to the President to manage the President’s Office, ensuring that guests are welcomed, phone calls and correspondence are answered, meetings are scheduled, materials are organized, and the office runs smoothly each day.
- Triage and respond to requests, inquiries, and complaints to the President’s office.
- Initiate routine correspondence, including writing and/or proofreading letters and reports.
- Manage all aspects of the President’s complex calendar, which includes forward looking deadlines, extensive coordination of group meetings, and last-minute scheduling wizardry.
- Manage the President’s travel, including researching and booking accommodations, and event registration.
- Manage a wide range of college events that are held on campus and at the President’s home.
- Manage the President’s home including coordination of maintenance and repairs with campus facilities staff, along with outside service providers
- Liaison with the President’s spouse regarding Presidential events, travel, and the President’s home.
- Manage office supplies and equipment and reconcile the President’s expense reports.
- At least six years of experience working in an executive assistant role for a senior leader, to include event planning.
- Experience working in higher education is a plus, as you’ll better understand working with students and their families, alumni, faculty, and staff.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to achievement of your long-term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will be asked to provide an answer to the following:
- If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Reed College replies to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.