Share this job
The Maintenance Supervisor is responsible for the management of all campus services related to the maintenance, operation and repair of all buildings, structures, equipment and furnishings at Reed. The Maintenance Supervisor provides training and leadership to maintenance specialists, technicians and student workers. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Facilities Operations.
The Supervisor will coordinate building maintenance activities with other Facilities Operations sections as well as various Reed College departments and outside contractors. The Supervisor oversees work which requires specialized skill in a variety of crafts or trades to assure effective operation and use of HVAC, electrical, plumbing or mechanical/fire life safety systems. The Supervisor ensures good stewardship of the environment and Reed’s assets.
This is a full-time, exempt position. A regular work week is 40 hours working Monday through Friday, exact start times to be determined. The College's official business hours are 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday. The position is expected to provide on-call support to the maintenance team, during evening and weekend hours. The starting salary for this position is $65,000 per year. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays and many other campus amenities.
Who You Are
- You are curious and consider yourself a lifetime learner. You are excited to learn about the Reed community and the maintenance team.
- You are collaborative. You enjoy working with departments across the college and other departments within facilities.
- You have strong interpersonal skills. You are a good listener with excellent written and verbal communication.
- You can recognize your team’s abilities and strengths and confidently delegate so the department runs smoothly.
- You are a creative problem solver that naturally resolves customer concerns and issues with care, tact and diplomacy.
- You are someone who sees the glass as half-full. You are optimistic with a positive attitude and look to find ways to resolve challenges.
- Others find you approachable. They feel comfortable coming to you with questions and trust that you will provide support and/or service to assist them.
- You show humility and empathy when leading others and interacting with customers.
- You show ingenuity and take initiative to propose solutions.
- You enjoy motivating your team. Your priority is to support, encourage and retain your qualified and diverse staff to provide high-quality service to the Reed community.
- You are visionary. You have a clear vision of how to lead and direct your team and work hard to support your staff as they see projects to their end point.
What You’ll Do
- Develop a team of 11 Maintenance Specialists and Technicians to operate and maintain, HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems, automated building controls, boiler plant operation, as well as locksmithing, carpentry, painting and preventative maintenance.
- Perform supervisory duties include hiring, training, setting individual performance goals,providing training and professional development, completing annual performance reviews and other performance management duties such as coaching, day-to-day supervision and disciplinary procedures.
- Provide in-depth technical advice and assistance to maintenance staff. Create operating procedures for building mechanical systems. Update and maintain preventative maintenance procedures and information as needed.
- Ensure staff adhere to College and departmental policies, procedures and protocols; including safety related policies and procedures.
- Lead by example and create and maintain a culture of respect, honesty and integrity by demonstrating humility, hard work and a focus on safety and constant incremental improvement.
- Respond to facilities emergencies on campus and provide timely resolution to problems. (often after hours)
- Serve as a liaison with campus departments to ensure all customers are given periodic work status update reports with an opportunity to provide feedback on the level of provided service.
- Collaborate with facilities staff in Grounds, Building Services and EH&S and other college departments such as Community Safety and Residence Life.
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors with exposure to weather conditions. Physical effort may be required to lift heavy objects. Periodic response to on-campus emergency calls during and after hours. Periodic adjustments to work schedules may be necessary to meet department requirements.
Five years’ experience in mechanical, electrical, building operating engineering or other trade related experience is required. Three year’s progressive leadership or supervisory experience leading a maintenance team or other trade related organization. Demonstrated experience with preventative maintenance theory and management systems. Experience with APPA preferred.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to achievement of your long-term professional goals?
- Which professional accomplishment are you most proud of?
As you apply online, you will be asked to provide an answer to the following:
- If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be considered as they are submitted. This position will remain open until filled.
Reed College values cultural diversity and intellectual pluralism as critical components of academic excellence. We welcome applications from members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military and others who would bring additional dimensions of experience to our community.