Building Services Support
Share this job
This position is responsible for moving equipment, furniture and supplies via College van/truck in order to support the set up and take down of events and the cleaning of spaces. This position also fills in as needed in cleaning residence halls, academic buildings and administrative buildings. This position is assigned to a day shift and reports to the Custodial Shift Supervisor.
The pay for this position is $19.79/hour. The work schedule is M-F, 8am-4:30pm with a 30-minute unpaid lunch. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive and cost-free medical and dental insurance for you, and a 60% discount on medical and dental insurance for your dependents, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), educational assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, and many other campus amenities. Union membership is a condition of employment.
Who You Are
- You have custodial/cleaning experience, preferably six or more months of custodial or cleaning experience.
- You know the importance of keeping places clean and equipment running smoothly.
- You are a team player. You enjoy the good feeling of helping others with their work.
- You are an on-time and dependable person. You always show up on time and your attendance is superb.
- You are known for your safety mindset. When you do a job, at home or at work, you are always thinking about safety. You don’t rush through your work, you do it safely, even if it takes a few extra minutes.
- You are the kind of person who looks to solve a possible problem before it becomes one.
- If you don’t know something, you ask questions.
- You have strong professional boundaries. You are friendly without being friends with students.
- You are able to work indoors with exposure to chemicals and cleaning agents. You are able to work while standing, lifting, bending, pushing, reaching and pulling. Occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds.
- You have an active, valid driver's license.
What You’ll Do
- Perform set-up and take-downs of equipment and seating for evening and weekend events.
- Provides support as needed in cleaning assigned buildings on campus, including dusting, wiping, and
- vacuuming of all offices and rooms. Clean and disinfect bathrooms and kitchen areas. Restock
- Collect all the trash and recycling from assigned areas.
- Perform a wide variety of floor cleaning tasks, such as vacuuming, spot cleaning and shampooing
- carpets, damp mopping, stripping and refinishing floors and deep cleaning.
- Collaborate and assist the team in shift goals including filling in for others while they are away. Work
- closely with the person assigned to the Custodian Lead position
- Perform routine maintenance tasks, such as changing light bulbs.
- Be an advocate for safety. Follow all safety procedures and make sure that others do, too. Report any unsafe conditions or behaviors immediately.
- Perform some group projects, such as team cleans or team maintenance.
- With the shift team, occasionally move office furniture.
Reed College is committed to building a culturally inclusive community and a work environment that respects and inspires every person. Your unique skills, work history, cultural contributions, and lived experiences are essential to building this community. Members of historically marginalized groups including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are invited to apply.