Share this job
With many opportunities for on the job training, this is a great job for someone who wants to learn generalist maintenance skills while working on a beautiful, historic college campus in Southeast Portland. This role is part of our maintenance team in facilities and reports to the Building Maintenance Supervisor.
Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive and cost-free medical and dental insurance for you, and a 60% discount on medical and dental insurance for your dependents, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), educational assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays and many other campus amenities. This is a full-time, non-exempt role with Monday through Thursday work hours of 6:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with a one half hour unpaid lunch. Starting salary for this position is $22.15 per hour.
Who You Are
- You have a mechanical aptitude and are interested in learning more about general maintenance.
- You are able to work indoors and outdoors and in different weather conditions. You are able to perform physical work daily including crawling, climbing, lifting and bending.
- People who know you describe you as a friendly person and you go out of your way to provide good service.
- You are committed to equity and it shows.
- You are a methodical problem solver. Troubleshooting is fun for you and you are curious about finding solutions.
- You understand the importance of teamwork. You have a sense of comradery and accountability with your working group.
- You are an effective communicator, both verbally and in writing.
- You have a strong sense of integrity and dependability and are always willing to admit your mistakes.
- You have an active, valid driver's license.
What You’ll Do
- Perform preventative maintenance on equipment and buildings while maintaining high standards of safety and work quality.
- Respond to customer maintenance requests for general building and equipment repairs using a variety of hand and power tools.
- Work as part of a small, collaborative team dedicated to their work.
- Help support a variety of other campus maintenance needs.
- On occasion you may be asked to be available for on-call work.
Click below to apply. You will be directed to Interfolio to create a free account and begin your application. A resume is required. Applications will be considered as they are submitted so you are encouraged to apply early. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Reed College replies to every candidate. We will confirm that your application is received, and if you are not selected, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Reed College is committed to building a culturally inclusive community and a work environment that respects and inspires every person. Your unique skills, work history, cultural contributions, and lived experiences are essential to building this community. Members of historically marginalized groups including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are invited to apply.