Computational Biology - Postbac Researchers
Share this job
Dr. Anna Ritz at Reed College in Portland, Oregon seeks two (2) Postbac Researchers to work on a federally funded project which focuses on algorithm development to investigate cellular signaling. The candidates will develop graph algorithms,apply them to molecular systems biology applications, and release software for the scientific community to use.
This interdisciplinary work involves collaborating with other biologists at Reed College.
The lab is located in an active Biology Department at a research-focused undergraduate liberal arts college. The candidate will also help mentor current undergraduates in the group.
Reed is committed to excellence and actively seeks diversity in its research, education, and employment practices. We welcome and encourage applicants from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position, on limited duration assignment for one year, paid semi-monthly with hourly rate of $20-$23 per hour. The start date is flexible, but estimated to begin in the summer of 2023. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and partner and discounted Trimet transit passes.
What You’ll Do (Essential Duties)
- Research position one focus areas:
- Develop a website dedicated to algorithms for systems biology
- Improve and release code from the group’s published work
- Research position two focus areas:
- Develop and prototype algorithms to analyze signaling pathways
- Apply algorithms to open problems in molecular systems biology
- Maintain and update software related to the developed methods
- Mentor and support current students in the group
- Must be a recent college graduate (recent Reed graduate preferred)
- Research position one qualifications:
- Degree in computer science or has taken substantial number of computer science courses
- Experience with web design
- Research position two qualifications:
- Computer programming experience
- Has taken a substantial number of courses with a major computational component
- Experience developing algorithms
- Experience working collaboratively on a research project
- Experience using GitHub for software management
- Interest in working closely with current Reed College students
Click below to apply. A resume, cover letter, and the name/email of one reference are required for submission. In the cover letter, address the qualifications described above.
As you apply online, you will also be expected to provide an answer to the following:
- If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be accepted immediately. This position will remain open until we have extended an offer to a candidate and it has been accepted.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately.
Reed College is committed to building a culturally inclusive community and a work environment that respects and inspires every person. Your unique skills, work history, cultural contributions, and lived experiences are essential to building this community. Members of historically marginalized groups including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are invited to apply.