Research Associate or Postdoctoral Researcher
Share this job
The Zornik Lab at Reed College in Portland, Oregon seeks a Research Associate or Postdoctoral Researcher to work on federally funded projects on the neuronal basis of vocal production in frogs. Experience performing RNA sequencing and bioinformatic analysis is essential. Experience with, or interest in learning, electrophysiology and/or fluorescence microscopy skills is preferred. The lab is located in an active Biology Department at a research-focused undergraduate liberal arts college. The candidate will be responsible for carrying out their own research as well as serving as a research mentor for undergraduate researchers.
Reed is committed to excellence and actively seeks diversity in its research, education, and employment practices. We welcome and encourage applicants from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
This is a full-time position, on limited duration assignment for up to two years, paid semi-monthly. Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays and many other campus amenities, such as membership to the campus fitness center for employee and partner and discounted Trimet transit passes.
Who you are
- You can think strategically, problem solve, and manage multiple projects
- You enjoy mentoring undergraduate students from a wide range of backgrounds
- You have a track record of completing and publishing research projects
- You have demonstrated knowledgeable of a number of data analysis programs
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills
- You have excellent organizational skills and can meet deadlines
What You’ll Do (Essential Duties)
- Design, carry out, and analyze RNA sequencing experiments
- Communicate research findings through writing articles, and presenting at conferences
- Serve as a consultant, mentor, and/or collaborator for student researchers in the lab
- An advanced degree in the life sciences is required.
- Master’s degree with related laboratory experience in biology or related discipline.
- PhD is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience using bioinformatic tools
- Experience working closely with and/or supervising undergraduate college students
Click below to apply. A resume, cover letter, and three professional references are required for submission.
As you apply online, you will also be expected to provide an answer to the following:
- If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion and community growth at Reed?
Applications will be accepted immediately. This position will remain open until we have extended an offer to a candidate and it has been accepted. Initial review of applications will begin April 1, 2023.
*References will not be contacted without the candidate's approval. References will be contacted after a candidate has been determined to be a finalist.
Reed College is committed to building a culturally inclusive community and a work environment that respects and inspires every person. Your unique skills, work history, cultural contributions, and lived experiences are essential to building this community. Members of historically marginalized groups including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are invited to apply.